Here’s where the party is
It ain’t the magic bus but we’re heading for a huge party
My Blog post for the Party
Karen Vaughan lives in Peterborough Ontario with her husband Jim and a cat named Sugar. She is the mom of a 23 year old daughter and four grown step children and a 3 year old grandson named Ike. DEAD COMIC STANDING is her second novel. Her first novel DEAD ON ARRIVAL garnered praise from friends, family and online gamers. She also enjoys doing crafts and other hobbies. Her third book and sequel to DEAD ON ARRIVAL is called OVER HER DEAD BODY. DAYTONA DEAD is the third in that series and was released in May 2013. Other than writing Karen loves to read, do crafts and play online games.Currently she co-hosts an internet radio show with Dellani Oakes and will be hosting WRITERS ROUND TABLE starting January the 14th. She has a quirky sense of humor and shows this in her mysteries
A little trivia
- How many books have I written in total? I have 3 in a series I call Laura & Gerry and a stand alone called Where did the last one take place? I took Laura and Gerry on a honeymoon to DAYTONA BEACH for sun, fun and murder!
- What ice cream treat do I seem to be obsessed with? I seemed to have an affinity for KLONDIKE BARS and what people might do with them.
- Besides writing what’s my fave hobby? My love for stand up comedy sparked the urge to write DEAD COMIC STANDING and I use comedy in my series as Laura tends to be sarcastic.
- What is my genre? Mystery all the way.
- What word appears in all my titles?Must be obsessed with it but Dead has appeared in all my titles
- What’s my country of Origin?Proud to be a canadian
- What are the names of my two leads? Laura and Gerry
- What’s the name of my stand alone? DEAD COMIC STANDING
- Is Laura a trained cop? No she is an arm chair detective and a bit of a corpse magnet –dead bodies just show up.
ABOUT DAYTONA DEAD
KILLER T. FORD IS A SELF-INDULGENT RACE CAR DRIVER WHO NEEDS TO WIN AND GET HIS WAY…IT’S GREAT WHEN HE DOES BUT WHEN HE DOESN’T, HE’S DRIVEN TO KILL
Laura and Gerry are newlyweds, honeymooning in Florida; as usual life is not going according to plans and they are racing to solve a murder and stay alive. The bodies are piling up, will it be too late to stop a killer?
Daytona Dead is the third installment of my Laura and Gerry series. What can happen on a simple honeymoon when Laura and Gerry head to Daytona Beach for fun in the sun and some NASCAR racing? They run into some serious trouble when they hit what they think is road kill. Just by coincidence it happens to be Laura’s ex-husband Lou who has moved to Florida. Right off the bat they are hauled off to jail under suspicion that they had something to do with it. After they are cleared and given Lou’s things that are not needed for evidence as the police think it was a simple hit and run. Laura discovers some incriminating photos that someone wants and is harassed along the way by a creepy police officer and the guy he is protecting.
The bodies start to pile up as someone in a vintage car is taking out any witnesses involved in the case to hide his wrong doing.
The story deals with fraud and identity theft along with a NASCAR racer with a bad attitude and something to hide.
It is a race to catch the killer and stop the fraud from continuing in this fast paced, high speed adventure full of romance and some good chuckles along the way.
With the help of the creepy cop out to redeem his reputation they may just get their man before he runs Laura and Gerry off the road for good.
.EXCERPT FROM CHAPTER 7 DAYTONA DEAD
Plans for the next day included getting some of our pictures saved on a CD, so I could clear the card in my camera. So I figured I might as well develop the ones from Lou’s camera. I was at a Kodak kiosk doing just that, when I felt the hair on the back of my neck prick up, so I whipped around to find the creepy cop behind me.
“Ok, this is getting old really fast. Do you have an odd fixation with following tourists around? Or are you just being a jerk?”
“Mrs. Fitz, dear, no need for a meltdown. I just happen to be at the same photo kiosk as you “
“Ya, I bet!”
“Oh my, someone is paranoid.” he laughed, “Maybe you really are guilty of that guy’s murder and used the road kill scenario as a cover up. Maybe, you staged it to divert attention. I may have to take my thoughts on this to the detective on the case.”
People were staring at us and backing away out of the store. The police officer was in his civvies and couldn’t do anything at that point. He was grinning evilly, thinking he was getting the better of me.
I stood straight up, “Too late Fife, we’ve been cleared of all charges so don’t even go there.”
His weasel-like face turned bright red, “Quit calling me Fife, my first name isn’t even Barney! It’s Dave, Dave Meecham. With that he turned and stomped away from the kiosk.
Okay, so now my would-be stalker had a name, should I need to use it? I continued to copy the photos from my card and printed off the ones from Lou’s SIM card. I went to pay for my pictures and the clerk looked at me oddly.
“What do I owe ya?”
“Um, six dollars.” She was clearly rattled by clash with the creepazoid.
It’s okay, dear, I’m not going to rob or kill ya. There’s no need to be nervous. My friend who just left is highly delusional…thinks he’s a cop or something. Most people have a thing for FBI or the CIA. He just wants to be at home in Mayberry with Andy, Aunt Bea and Opie”
CHAT WITH DAVE MEECHAM
The cub reporter for The Daytona Beach News journal Callie Springford sits down with convicted police officer to get the straight skinny on what went down during the Killer T. Ford Roadkill rampage.
WHY ARE YOU IN JAIL?
I let my brother in-law Killer T. Ford talk me into being his eyes and ears at the police station. I was privy to a lot of info that I should have told my supervisors about with regards to his involvement in the identity theft ring and the hit and runs.
WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO COME CLEAN?
My wife Annabelle made me see that her brother Duane aka Killer T. was nothing but trouble and he could very easily drag me down the same dark path to hell that he was going on. I decided my life with her was more important than keeping that spoiled little prima donna happy. I had tremendous guilt over the whole break in thing at the Fitz hotel room, getting Rueben to nail Cronk, and getting the kid killed by that bastard. I might be doing time here but I can stand a bit taller having down the right thing.
WHAT WAS YOUR CAREER BEFORE THAT? I was a desk clerk at the local police station as I had been demoted from my job in Forensics up in Dade County.
ARE YOU EASILY INFLUENCED BY OTHERS?
Unfortunately I would have to say yes. Killer T kind of bullied me into doing a lot of dirty things including trashing that nice couples room.
IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN YOUR LIFE WHAT WOULD IT BE? Not be such a wuss.
COUNTRY MUSIC OR ROCK? Depends on my mood I like either
DO YOU HAVE A NICK NAME? At work they called me Barney Fife now the guys in here call me Dead Meat
FAVORITE COLOUR? Definitely not orange. Hey do you think this jumpsuit makes me look fat?
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU GET OUT? I am taking computer courses so maybe I can get a job at Best Buy when I get out.
DO YOU HAVE REGRETS? Yes definitely and if I could I would undo all the things I did to hurt innocent people I would do it in a minute.
IF YOU COULD GIVE A ROOKIE COP ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WHAT WOULD IT BE? Stick with your principles and don’t let the lure of easy money make you do stupid things.
MY BUY LINKS AND WEBSITES
DEAD ON ARRIVAL
OVER HER DEAD BODY
DEAD COMIC STANDING
LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- I was born in a small town in Northern Ontario
- I wore glasses full time from the time I was 3 until I was 11
- My favorite cartoon character is SNOOPY
- Cats are my fave pets but I do love dogs and I had a Beagle at one point named Barney—thought I was gonna say SNOOPY didn’t you?
- My nicknames have been Karebear-given to me by a client at work. Wabbit-high school friends stuck me with that one and of course Snoopy.
- I have an obsession with KLONDIKE BARS
- My husband is a Muppet fanatic and does impersonations. He has been known to freestyle and single different songs mixed together –highly distracting while I am writing.
- I love doing and watching stand up comedy and one of my books was dedicated to that hobby.
- My two hot button topics are bullying and stigma of mental illness
- I might not look old enough but have 5 grown kids and a grandson